Friday, August 30, 2013

Coffee, Books and Ribs, OH MY!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Congratulations on surviving August! That is always a big deal to me. It doesn't feel like the school year has actually started until you get to September. Maybe I am hearkening back to the days of my youth when we did not actually start school until after Labor Day. But Alas, my calendar days run together now and are marked by my husband's school days, my baby boy's milestones and Mary Kay parties.

I enjoyed the 5 for Friday Linky Party that I joined a couple of weeks ago and so, I am participating again! 5 things that really highlighted my week.
1.) My Coffee Clip Art Set! I had so much fun with this set. It was really quite self indulgent and if I don't sell any sets, I still enjoyed the heck out of it. As all my sets, it is an evolution of art and the style changed slightly with my mood through the course of its creation. I started with the realistic coffee cups and french press and ended with a stylized cup and saucer and carafe. Perhaps a little Ikea-esque. Maybe I flatter myself. But, here it is. (:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Coffee-Love-Clip-Art-Collection-850311

2.) On the same vein, bean, This FRENCH PRESS!!! Can I say, this is the coolest thing ever, although maybe a little more than I would want to pay personally. They totally turned a MASON JAR into a french press. For all of us real coffee drinkers, that is pretty cool beans. In my opinion, its not coffee unless it comes out of a french press and I HAVE broken the pitcher part of mine before and had to replace the whole thing. This sucker has a lifetime (yours) warranty and if you break the mason jar, no biggie, just replace it for a whopping  70 cents. 
3.) This BOOK!
Has been revolutionary for me. I am going to shoot straight here. The last 5 years have been rough. The last year was really, really, really hard. REALLY hard. I left a job that I had poured myself into for years and emerged feeling very defeated and confused. I knew deep down that God had His hands in it, despite how unfair it was, but I did not know what to do with all of the emotions. I hurt. Bad. But, God in his infinite mercy and love led me to seek counseling at my church. They paired me up with an amazing mentor and we are working through this book together.  The author takes you through the parallel passages of Psalm 57 and 1 Samuel 22-25. An innocent David is running for his life and hiding from the bloodthirsty King Saul and cries out for God's Mercy and Comfort.  If you are going, or have gone through something rough, or know someone going through something rough and don't quite understand what God is getting at or what the point of it all is, this book will make things deliciously clear and help direct you to peace, even in your storm. I hope someone else can get as much out of it as I have. This book is a cool drink of water and a sanctuary from life's hurricanes.

4.) Sale, Sale Sale Sale!!!
To honor the conclusion of this August, both of my stores are 10% off today and tomorrow. 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Flower-In-The-Weeds
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Second-Grade-Spin
5.)Labor Day
Per Wikipedia:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September, that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers. It was first nationally recognized in 1894 to placate unionists following the Pullman Strike. With the decline in union membership, the holiday is generally viewed as a time for barbeques and the end of summer vacations

I get to see my dad only for a few months spread throughout the year. I miss him lots and am so grateful for the time that I get to spend with him. This time has been especially fantastic because my little boy has really had an opportunity to bond with his grandfather. I also have been home while everyone else is at work, which has allowed me a few opportunities to have my dad all to myself, which is a rare treat. Well, mom is off doing a half marathon this weekend, so I get 3 of the most special guys in my life in one place this Monday, awesome hubs, crazy baby and glob trotter dad, and I don't have to share! We will be trying this recipe:
I will let you know how it goes. (:  I hope you cherish the extra time you get to spend with your loved ones this weekend and have a chance to catch your breath before the year starts rolling full force. Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment